UPDATE: We are now accepting applications for the Fulbright Student Program until May 10, 2023.
The U.S. Embassy in Madagascar and Comoros is pleased to offer awards for a full-time study towards a master’s degree at a higher education institution in the United States for the 2024-2025 academic year. Fulbright funding is limited to TWO years.
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program enables graduate students, young professionals and artists from abroad to study and conduct research in the United States. The Fulbright Foreign Student Program operates in more than 160 countries worldwide. Approximately 4,000 foreign students receive Fulbright scholarships each year.
To be eligible for the Fulbright Foreign Student Program, applicants must:
- Be citizen or national of Madagascar or the Union of the Comoros currently residing in their home country.
- Hold a “Maîtrise” degree, M-1 with a degree, or the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in the field of specialization. Please note a four-year degree is required; a certificate for completion of four university years will NOT be accepted.
- Have an English proficiency sufficient to realistically accomplish full-time graduate-level study in the United States.
- Have outstanding academic records, references, and experience in the chosen field.
- Be highly motivated and committed to completing the program and returning home.
- Have no extensive or recent experience in the United States.
- Applications must be completed and submitted online before midnight May 10, 2023. The application can be found at https://apply.iie.org/ffsp2024/ .
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Candidates are advised to apply early and to ensure that all necessary documentation is received in a timely fashion. This includes all transcripts of university studies showing grades, certified copies of all university diplomas, and four letters of reference. At least three letters of reference should be from university faculty who can attest to the quality of the candidate’s university study and academic potential. If degrees and transcripts are not in English, official translations must be provided. Official translations must be done by either a certified translator or the school where the documents were originally issued.
- A selection committee will review all submitted applicants and recommend the top ranked candidates to be interviewed. Interviews will be conducted in-person or virtually, depending upon the applicant’s location, local health conditions, and other factors.
- Interviewed candidates will be asked a range of questions about their reasons for wanting to study in the United States, their future career plans, and the specifics of their proposed projects. Applicants should have investigated the types of programs in their fields offered by U.S. universities and be able to explain how those types of programs could advance their studies. The Embassy’s EducationUSA team has resources to assist.
Required Standard Examinations
ONLY Fulbright candidates who are selected as finalists are required to take standardized tests like the TOEFL or Duolingo, GRE, and/or GMAT. Required tests will be taken at the Embassy’s expense.
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is a language test required of all foreign students whose native language is not English. The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is a general ability test, which indicates a candidate’s aptitude for graduate-level study. Both TOEFL/Duolingo and GRE are administered in Madagascar and the Embassy’s EducationUSA office will provide finalists with access to test preparation materials.
Management students are usually required to take the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT). Since the GMAT is not offered in Madagascar, finalists selected for a degree program requiring the GMAT will be asked to take the GRE instead.
For further information, please contact the U.S. Embassy by telephone at 033 44 322 82 or by email at rabeharindrasanaT@state.gov .
Guidelines on the Essay writing
For any questions you might have, please check out our frequently asked questions(FAQs) .